Taking head measurements for a new wig, filler, or hair integration system is a little more difficult than just measuring the circumference of your head. It requires some precision on both recording the correct measurements and knowing which areas to measure.
We know that not everyone can come into a wig shop to get professionally measured, so we’ve put together a helpful guideline on how to take your own measurements for a hairpiece. All you’ll need is a tape measure.
Let’s get started:
1. Measure the circumference of your head. Begin in the front around your hairline and continue underneath the ears and around the base of the neck, where the hairline ends. An average measurement for this area is 22 inches, which can be used as a benchmark to make sure that you’re getting an accurate reading.
2. Measure from Nape to Forehead. This measurement should start at the center of your forehead, straight down the part of your head and your crown, and down to the nape of your neck. The average measurement for this area is 13 ½”.
3. Measure from Ear to Ear. Starting at one ear in the front where hair begins to grow, trace your hairline around your forehead to the same position on the other ear. The average measurement here is 11 ½” for comparison.
4. Measure Across the Top of the Head. The next measurement should be from ear to ear again, but across the top of the head. Begin at the ear where hair starts to grow, straight across the top of the head, and down to where hair begins to grow near the opposite ear. It’s important to note that with this measurement, hair should be flattened and pinned down to ensure that the measurement is as accurate as possible.
5. Measure from Point to Point. Beginning at the front edge of sideburns or hair in front of the ear, stretch the measuring tape across the back of the crown and meet at the same point on the other side of the head. This measurement is generally around 14 inches.
6. Finally, Measure the Nape of the Neck. Measure the width of hair growth on the nape of the neck. This measurement is approximately 6 inches on average.
Once you have these measurements, you can begin working with a wig shop to create a custom wig that will have the right fit and placement. And as always, if you ever have questions about taking the correct measurements, give us a call and we’ll be happy to help you out.