Since a wig or hairpiece is a big investment in your appearance, taking proper care and daily maintenance is important. At Joseph Fleischer, we have a department that helps you take care of your hairpiece, but there are some things you can do at home to make sure it stays in good condition.
1. Find a cool, dry place to store your wig or hairpiece. Keep them away from high temperatures, mildew, and dust; and always store on a wig stand to ensure that your hairpiece holds its shape and doesn’t get tangled or dirty.
2. Keep knots and tangles brushed out. A wig brush or wire comb will you keep your wig detangled. Work in small sections of the hair, starting from the ends and working your way up to the base of the cap for best results.
3. Use a spray bottle with water to help style your wig. Sometimes wigs can crease while in storage. To get rid of creases, use a spray bottle filled with water to lightly spritz hair and use your fingers to straighten hair out and style it.
4. Stay away from intense heat. Don’t spend too much time around heat generators like hot ovens and stoves, as excessive heat can cause your hairpiece to frizz.
5. Have your wig professionally cleaned and serviced each month. Cleaning your hairpiece is integral in making sure it stays shiny and healthy looking. And since cleaning a wig or hairpiece requires specific instructions, it can be easier to hand that task over to professionals