Hairpieces or wigs are intricate creations. Most people aren’t even aware of what goes into making a wig or maintaining a wig until they’re actually wearing one. Since we work with wigs on a daily basis, we thought it might be fun to throw out some interesting tidbits about the work we do and give you some insight into the production of your hairpiece.
Without further ado, here are 5 things you didn’t know about your wig or hairpiece:
1. With proper care and maintenance from our full service repair department, a human hair wig can last up to 10 years. This is far better than the lifespan of a synthetic wig which is usually up to 6 months with regular wear.
2. Handmade wigs tie and knot each individual strand to the cap, so that the hair looks as natural as possible. Given this amount of detail, it can take a few months to create a custom handmade wig.
3. Fashion wigs generally have around 10%-30% of additional hair. Since most people want their hair to look groomed and styled, it’s to account for a stylist shaping and cutting it to fit your features.
4. Caucasian or European hair is the most durable hair for human hair wig making. Though, there are three other basic types of hair that are used and are more affordable and available: Indonesian, Indian, and Chinese hair.
5. Human hair wigs cause less sweating because the hair is able to breathe, as opposed to synthetic wigs which can be hot and itchy to wear for longer periods of time.